I've always been a sucker for farmers markets. I love the spirit of all the small businesses being together, the unique looks of each of their booths, and the comforting thought that the food I purchase is healthy and the products purchased are a win for each vendor.
At least for us, it is! When Sarah and I sell any #MOswag item, we actually do a dance and talk about it. I always ask if we knew them.
It's the personal touch that farmers markets achieve so effortlessly.
Traditionally in Jefferson City, Farmers Market was a summer activity, but luckily for us, Steve Smart and Diana Duncan have been on a mission to make a year-round market a reality. Since they created the market they always knew they wanted to have options for customers to purchase products beyond the spring and summer seasons.
Located in the old Welcome Inn Again location on the corner of Madison and Dunklin, they're open:
Wednesday 10 AM - 4 PM
Thursday 10 AM - 4 PM
Friday 10 AM - 4 PM
Saturday 9 AM-Noon
PS. Lunch is served here!
You'll find an average of 9 vendors who have local goods there at any given time.
Diana and Steve believe that healthy, fresh food should be available to everyone. They worked hard to ensure that this market could offer a SNAP match program. Here's how it works:
Persons who qualify for SNAP/EBT and or WIC can receive MATCH money at the market to make their dollars go farther and be able to purchase fresh local foods. This is how it works:
1. Come to the main register at the market to purchase tokens that are used like "cash" at the market
2. People can purchase any amount of tokens; however, we will match up to $25/day (example: someone purchases $25 of tokens, then we give them an additional $25 of Double up Bucks tokens so now they have $50 to spend.
3. Tokens are then used to purchase items at the market (weekdays they will cash out at the register, Saturdays they can pay the vendors with tokens).
4. Tokens never expire, so they can spend them all that day or spend them another time.
5. Each Saturday, at the end of the market, vendors turn in their tokens and fill out a receipt. At the end of the month the market pays the vendors for their token sales.
1. Customers come to the main register and show the clerk their WIC folder (this identifies them as a WIC recipient).
2. The customer can purchase any amount of tokens; however, we match up to $10 each day. The reason this match is not higher is because the dollars that go towards the MATCH is locally raised dollars whereas the Double Up Bucks program is a national program.
4. Tokens are then used to purchase items at the market (weekdays they will cash out at the register, Saturdays they can pay the vendors with tokens).
5. Tokens never expire, so they can spend them all that day or spend them another time.
6. Each Saturday, at the end of the market, vendors turn in their tokens and fill out a receipt. At the end of the month the market pays the vendors for their token sales.
Cool, right? This is made possible by these generous donors.
FYI...We have a chance for you to win $25 worth of tokens to spend at the Farmers Market! Keep reading for details.
Wouldn't it be great if when you went shopping for food, the $10 you had in your pocket magically turned into $20? Or, if the $20 bill you have turned into two $20 bills? That kind of magic actually happens for EBT users here. It's how their Double Up Food Bucks system works. EBT users, take advantage of this! #nobrainer
Another fun piece of the market is the $5 cash value, change given tokens if your wallet has zero cash - only plastic. Not all of the vendors have credit card processors, so you can go to the main register and swipe your card for a minimum of X in exchange for these tokens which work like cash. Keep reading to find out how you can win $25 worth of Captial City Farmer's Market tokens...
Random fun fact: Diana's 11 year old son, Hayden Duncan, has a Food Handlers Certificate and he makes "Hayden's Savory Souffle's" for breakfast at the market.
Now indulge us as we take this time to plug shamelessly on ourselves...
Every month, Sarah and our smallest blog helpers post up shop with our MO Swag. It's usually the third Saturday of the month from 9 AM-Noon. Come by even if it's just to say hi! Of course, if you want to purchase your swag in person (which saves you on shipping), we love that. And if you can't make it then, but would like to get your hands on some anyway, we always have merchandise there for sale. To stay in the loop, follow jeffcityblog.com on Instagram. We post stories on there every time we're at the market!
Ok, thank you for that.
Is the suspense on how you can win $25 in tokens KILLING YOU???
Here is how you can help the market...
1. Funding for the venue - the market has to raise money to keep the doors open so that the vendors have a place to sell their goods and so that people can come and get fresh and local produce multiple days and times of the week.
2. Ads are a part of the funding stream that is needed.
3. Sponsors of the market - Sponsors can help in a variety of ways (Ad's, Gold Sponsor, Silver Sponsor, Bronz Sponsor, VIP membership, Go Fund Me page etc.).
OK! Here's how you can win $25 in what I'm calling Market Money because I love alliteration.
Subscribe to our blog email list. If you are already subscribed, no worries because you are already entered!
The last day to enter is next Friday and the winner will be announced via our email list, so be sure you've subscribed!
Thanks for popping in to read the blog this week!
Pin this image:
This post made possible by
our Friend of the Blog:
This post in memory of Steve Smart January 23, 1958 - September 25, 2018